Reader Mail – 03/11/2012 To 03/17/2012

Note: Due to a defect in the rawr plugin, the formatting for this post shows up wrong on the blog homepage, but it does show up correctly if you view it as a single post or in a RSS reader.
JB Smith commented on node.js Is VB6 - Does node.js Suck?.
So sick of the "I'll just do it with LAMP stack" or you "MUST" use the LAMP stack. Holy shit that lame piece of turd that is PHP keeps getting propped up as the best thing ever invented. Please open your brain to learning something new. Sick and fucking tired of the company founders who don't know that LAMP is not the only way to build an application. BTW self = this is a very typical paradigm, to preserve the scope of 'this' inside a function. Want to find out more about javascript, just listen to Douglas Crockford on YouTube. PHP has sucked for a very long time. Go read the PHP documentation for some of the absolute worst examples of user contributed code examples to understand why. As to setting up LAMP being hard, when has this ever been hard? Setting up LAMP can be done in your sleep. The reasons NOT to use LAMP become more clear once you stop swimming in the PHP hole.

commented on node.js Is VB6 - Does node.js Suck?.

Wow, what can I say that wasn't said so succinctly by others on this thread...

If you thought the node.js documentation was "unreadable garbabe" it means you didn't understand it. Otherwise it would have just been "garbage" and you'd have more than just wantonly unfactual statements to use as criticisms.

Node.js != VB6, ASP.NET != VB, ASP.NET != PHP, and C is not slightly more time consuming than node.js. Statements like that are how programmers can tell the difference between people who know how to program and those who look at syntax.

The only thing you've managed to concretely point out is that you couldn't write a complex application in node.js because you don't understand it. Other people work on massively complex applications in node.js on a daily basis, including myself without any problems of complexity.

I saw one amusing code fragment. He had “self = this” in every function. You have to preserve the “this” variable for the callback, because “this” always refers to the current object. If you have “self = this” at the top of every function, that’s a sign that there’s something wrong with your language.

So, one guy's less than stellar programming practice means JavaScript is wrong? First, "this" refers to the calling scope not the object. Second, "var self = this;" is only necessary if you need to maintain a reference to a parent scope from within a closure and JavaScript is not the only language that offers this construct. But this has nothing to do with node.js and everything to do with lexical scoping.

Callbacks are a disgusting way to code. It rapidly leads to a mess.

Have you ever written a web app? Worked with dom events? Used jQuery? they all require/use callbacks for a variety of tasks, and they're all pretty succinct ways of doing event driven functionality. Maybe the lead to a mess when you write them...

There was another amusing “feature” of node.js. If you have a bug in your code, then the entire server crashes! That was amusing and pathetic.

Wow, the ignorance is making me light-headed. First there's a global exception handler to prevent the server from crashing (look for uncaughtException in the docs, it clearly explains the purpose.) Second, only the process crashes, not the entire server, and only if you don't use any of the existing utilities to restart the processes on error. And finally, your ASP.NET application will crash in the same spectacular way when it hits a runtime error, so how exactly is this a problem with node.js?

If you have to install a bunch of other packages and tools to get proper behavior out of node.js, that’s a symptom that you’re building on a flawed foundation.

node.js is a fully functioning stack of its own accord. No other libraries are necessary for proper behavior, only node.js. And anything you can say about node.js requires X for blah, can also be said about LAMP stacks.

Try writing something with complex business logic in node.js, and you’ll understand my point.

Is this because you tried to write complex business logic in node.js and stumbled through it? I believe you said you lightly reviewed it one day before a job interview. Complex business logic is written on the client side in JavaScript for a number of applications that run on LAMP stacks like GMail. So what about node.js makes this impossible that is otherwise possible in a browser?

All of the comments they made about me were name-calling without addressing any of my points.

Just about every point you've made has been addressed as invalid here with supporting facts. If you really know that node.js is flawed, you should provide some examples, perhaps some code samples. At the very least some warranted statements.

Fortunately I won't have to worry about hiring you because you'll never apply to one of my job applications. :D

Eight commented on node.js Is VB6 - Does node.js Suck?.

I stopped reading at "full off illogically put together features, bugs and security flaws".

Billy Binkerton commented on TJ Lane (Ohio School Murderer) Was Probably Taking Psychiatric Drugs.
FSK,

Thanks, I just looked at your website and yes. If he's going to a school for "troubled" kids, he's on drugs for sure. The family has major addiction history and that means that state social workers, CPS, has been in contact with this boy many times and certainly have had him on lots of pych meds too. The interesting part of this story is that none of that information is being reported on. Just that he is "mentally troubled" and possibly actually incompetent. So I'm thinking this isn't a case where he was taking "an" anti-depressant or "an" adhd med, like Tyler Hadley or Allyssa Bustamante, or Phoebe Prince, or the other ten stories in the news since this one where people have shot up a bunch of places. I'm thinking this is more of an epic drugging of this boy by the alternative school and gross negligence of CPS and that the authorities are really hmmng and hawing about just how to handle this in order not to release this information. A red flag is that they are not charging him as an adult yet. Most cases get decided quicker, even the nine year old that stabbed someone to death is getting charged as an adult and he was on meds, too. So this must be really juicy. I have had horrible experiences with these drugs and have turned them into websites and videos on Binkerton Studios Live and thought I would share that with you. Thank you again for posting this and please post updates if you learn anything new. The beans will get spilled eventually.

Anti-white idiots commented on State Sanctioned Murder In Florida - Trayvon Martin.
Anybody called 'Trayvon' should be incarcerated for life, simply because of their NAME - because having such a STUPID name tells you two things - 1) They're black (and therefore FAR more likely to be a violent criminal than a white person), and 2) Their parents are 'ghetto' scum who choose stupid, ridiculous names for their bastard offspring, thus reinforcing the likelihood of point 1.

'Trayvon' was a hate filled piece of shit, as anybody who looks at his photo can tell. Or just look at his hate filled brother, who you can see in photos of his 'fambly' in the news. Another hate filled felon waiting to rape and murder white people. Why don't they want to live in an all BLACK country?

Because they're worthless parasites who STEAL from white people - they can't produce a first world standard of living on their own, so they thought they'd steal ours.

They cry 'racism' every day, but never cry 'separation'. Why is that?

Meanwhile, every year millions of white people MOVE HOME to get AWAY from third world scum.

Are you serious or trolling?

The choice of name is a capital offense?

However, here's one observation that does back up your racism. There are almost no black computer programmers. Every other group is represented (Russian, European, Asian, Indian). Is that due to culture, or inherent intelligence? I think it's mostly culture. "Computer programmer" is a merit-based field. Someone completely incompetent won't last long. (Actually, they get promoted to management!)

They published a picture of him in a hoodie, to make him look seedy. There were other nicer photos.

It's wrong to say "All members of group X are evil." There are some honest politicians, but most are evil. Most State welfare bureaucrats have evil tendencies.

Trayvon Martin would have made it home without incident, if George Zimmerman wasn't there. It's clearly murder.

Here's my best estimate of what happened. George Zimmerman started a fight with Trayvon Martin. He was losing that fight. Then, he pulled out his gun and shot Trayvon Martin. That isn't self-defense. That isn't manslaughter. That's murder. You can't start a fight with someone, and then shoot them, claiming self defense.

Stormfront Idiots commented on State Sanctioned Murder In Florida - Trayvon Martin.

Give me your home address and we can talk about this like reasonable gentlemen.

No threats of violence here. I can't believe you're so eager to support the murderer. Are you serious or trolling?

The enemy is the State, and not some teenager who was going to the store to buy snacks.

"Black vs. white" is a distraction. The real battle is "productive vs. parasites/psychopaths". If only the poor white and poor black people ganged up against the banksters! Racism is promoted to prevent them from cooperating.

matthew watkins commented on State Sanctioned Murder In Florida - Trayvon Martin.

2901 E. Yorba Linda Blvd. Fullerton, Ca 92831. Give me your time and date so we can meet up.

Read the book, "The New Jim Crow". Then understand whats going on in incidents like this. If were going to incarcerate people based on their name, then "Anti-White Idiots" is a good place to start. Apparently Trayvon's parents live in the ghetto, especially since zimmerman was his neighbor. Oh wait they didn't live in the ghetto they lived in the gated community. I would love to see your hate filled photo so I could recognize a "hate filled piece of shit". We have already settled this race question in the civil war and world war II, you lost badly and now the United States is slowly but certainly becoming more mixed. Welcome to the Federal North, we own your confederate ass.

I'm not sure that's a good idea. Besides, it could be a fake name and address!

There's another interesting detail. The police said "We can't prove it's wasn't self-defense. Therefore, it was a justified shooting."

Really? Is that the law now? You can kill someone, and you get away with it, unless the police can prove you weren't defending yourself?

Also, "It was a self-defense shooting." is an affirmative defense. If your defense is "I wasn't there. The police got the wrong guy.", then you can keep quiet and let your lawyer do the talking. If your defense is "I murdered him in self-defense!", then you should be required to tell it to a jury, and let them decide if they believe you or not. (There may be some other witnesses to the confrontation, which may partially back up George Zimmerman. However, George Zimmerman started the fight with Trayvon Martin, which should cast serious doubt on the claim of self-defense.)

SSE commented on State Sanctioned Murder In Florida - Trayvon Martin.

You are an idiot. Even worse, there are many uneducated, amoral idiots like you in this country. African Americans have given their blood, sweat and lives for this country. We have served in every war proudly and with honor. In return we received systematic lynchings, torture, the lack of a decent education and the enactment of the Jim Crow laws, all designed to ensure we remained as an underclass in this country. We have survived and flourished despite these actions.Believe it or not, the vast majority of African Americans get up each morning and go to work so they can support their family, as Treyvon's parents did. The question should not be "Why don't they want to live in an all Black country" The question should be "Why don't you pick your sorry ass up and leave this country if you don't like it?". Recent studies show the majority populating America will have darker skins in the near future. You should leave asap. The story of Trayvon Martin is heartbreaking. Even sadder is the fact that this is not the first time this type of incident has happened nor will it be the last. Zimmerman should be arrested and charged with murder. There is no excuse for his actions. The way the local police attempted to become the arbitrator of the case instead of allowing the courts and the citizens handle it should be thoroughly investigated and charges should be filed if it is shown their actions warrant it.

Anonymous Coward commented on Rush Limbaugh Censorship.
Ron Paul is an honest man.

In fact I am glad he exists as it is interesting to know what an honest politician would look like.

Ron Paul's explanation of inflation is very lucid i.e. politicians and the military-industrial complex get the inflated money first, get the value of it and then later the population suffers the inflation.

Anonymous Coward commented on Rush Limbaugh Censorship.

The important point on inflation is at 5 minutes 14 seconds in the below video.

He sounds a bit like you, FSK!!!!!

I did watch Ron Paul a bit when I first started blogging. I saw him question the Federal Reserve and IRS.

I wrote some bits on a Ron Paul wiki and Ron Paul foums. Ron Paul was right. The Federal Reserve and IRS really are evil.

I got tired arguing with trolls on the forums. It was frustrating making the same points over and over again. I decided to switch to my own blog, where other people couldn't drown me out in a flood of nonsense.

Anonymous Coward commented on Rush Limbaugh Censorship.

Perhaps FSK is Ron_Paul++ !

No, that won't work will it.

I meant ++Ron_Paul .

f commented on Reader Mail - 03/04/2012 To 03/10/2012.
Neat site: various charts priced in gold.

My favorite charts are "S&P in gold" and "GDP in gold". Those are very interesting.
Anonymous Coward commented on CNBC GLD Propaganda.
Typical scumbag trick!

1) Lying by omission

2) Lying by saying a statement that is technically true, but your intention is to give a false impression

3) Saying something that is true, but is very unlikely to be the cause

4) Mixing lies with truth

Anonymous Coward commented on Only Stupid People Work Here.
I've seen that "you are stupid" attitude before.

In one company, the software developers messed around for a year and created an horrid mess. When I started all the developers had resigned and one was hanging around during his last month.

When I asked him to demonstrate the software to me, HE REFUSED. Obviously he knew if was a pull of dog dirt and wanted to hide the disaster until he was firmly out of the company.

I worked hard and rewrote the software almost from scratch after all the developers had left. The software I wrote worked perfectly.

Instead of thanking me, the chief idiot at the company just said I was stupid for various stupid reasons.

The fact that he was manager of a project that had produced one of the biggest messes I've seen was beside the point.

The important point is that they're really talking down to me, rather than treating me like a professional and someone who knows what he's doing.

They aren't going to change. The only thing I can do is look for something better.