Reader Mail – 04/01/2012 To 04/07/2012

Note: Due to a defect in the rawr plugin, the formatting for this post shows up wrong on the blog homepage, but it does show up correctly if you view it as a single post or in a RSS reader.
Sam Gillespie commented on node.js Is VB6 - Does node.js Suck?.
I am currently looking up node.js vs Apache like servers. However, I am specifically looking for a situation where real-time push notifications are possible (and efficient).

Therefore, currently I am neutral between node.js and Apache. That being said, despite what you say, node.js users seem more reasonable and friendly that the node.js haters.

Yes this particular comment you replied to is a bit aggressive, but no more than some of your comments.

Furthermore, I have trouble reading any of your comments that aren't covered in insults. You either insult the previous poster (without actually countering ANY of the points they post) or node.js without arguing why (other than the original post).

From JUST your attitude alone, I am currently leaning towards node.js. But remember, I am focusing on the need for real-time push notifications. And you don't really want to hold open threads on Apache, it's not designed for that.

Your comment shows lots of ignorance. You normally don't use *JUST* Apache to write a web service. You use Apache+C or Apache+PHP or Apache+Perl or Apache+Java (or others). (I did find something called axis and an Apache scripting language, which also sort of counts as another language. That wouldn't be a good idea for something complicated.)

commented on node.js Is VB6 - Does node.js Suck?.

Node.js puts the emphasis on evented IO. This can optimize the processor usage by preventing threads from waiting around for IO operations to complete. The actual javascript code (or coffee-script, etc.) is executed on a single thread, but that is unlikely to be a bottleneck. Even if it is, the bottleneck, you can spawn more instances.

purplefinch commented on TJ Lane (Ohio School Murderer) Was Probably Taking Psychiatric Drugs.
Hi this is a good article. Thanks.

I really never thought about this. It's just ... amazing.Because I would have to agree. These drugs are very scary when you think about it. Manipulating the brain... and the brain is just as mysterious as our universe...

I don't agree with putting kids on drugs.

On another note:

Perhaps they are waiting to charge TJ once he turns 18, which is not fair.

I don't believe in sticking TJ into ADULT PRISON. He is still a child ... I'm also 17 years old, and I believe it's abuse and violation of child right.

Yes. His crime is severe. But underneath him I believe he is NOT a 'cold blooded murderer' so many think. People love to 'half' fix a problem. Throwing TJ into jail is not fixing the problem... I think he deep down is good kid and just needs some help, 'oomf'. I understand this opinion is very unpopular... but I want to voice my opinion. I pray for TJ everyday. Send letters to lawyers, judges... that's what I'm doing to help. Putting a kid in prison... he will die there. No justice.

David commented on Google Play?.
TBH awaring a few words changed in user comment is a little too suspicious for me ... that must mean alot to you.

Jake Cantrell commented on $25B "Taxpayer Gain" From Mortgage Bailout.
I noticed your interesting article and perspective and thought you and / or your readers might find our community's response to the same topic interesting: http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/blog/25-billion-profit-on-toxic-mbs...feel free to use it on your site as a follow-up if you like in addition to exploring the vast Wall Street community for expanded readership. Hope all is well, and keep up the great work.

Some of those "toxic mortgage bonds" were bought by FRE/FNM at a premium to fair market value, and then FRE/FNM were bailed out.

Some of those bonds were bought by the Federal Reserve.

thomasblair commented on "Record" Lotto Jackpot.
After-the-fact analysis:

Jackpot wound up being $640m (cash value of $462m). Prize was split 3 ways ($154m each). So, because of the multiple winners, a post-hoc calc of EV is still negative. If only 2 tickets hit the jackpot numbers, it might have a positive EV.

All in all, a lottery ticket's worth an afternoon of daydreaming, at least to me. It's not an investment strategy. :)

If you look at "# of tickets sold" divided by "# of winning combinations", you could tell how many multiple winners were likely, and that it was not +EV.
Justin commented on Google Maps Bug.
What about duckduckgo?
I'm looking for a Google Maps alternative. I heard that openstreetmap was a decent alternative.
Anonymous Coward commented on Headhunter Foolishness - "Open Source Programmer".
I was quite happily getting my bills paid for by my own software product and not having to stress out dealing with idiots. Then a couple of big company recruiters found a very old profile of mine on LinkedIn. Well I put hope over experience and decided to talk to them. It was a waste of time. All they did was piss me off. They couldn't even tell me anything about the jobs they were recruiting for or what exactly they want in terms of skills, experience etc. As they have a tedious and strung out recruiting process, I didn't want to be put down a mill of testing without knowing what the jobs are first.

So the whole thing aborted at fortunately an early stage.

Next time I will probably just ignore them like the scum they are.

Even as early as back as 1996 - 1997, a manager of mine said that talking to recruiters made him sick (or words to that effect). Very wise words.

It is stupid that a big, famous technical company have unqualified people working as recruiters that have no real hands-on knowledge of software. It will just lead to good people getting pissed off and never joining the company.

I put out a resume many years ago that listed what I did in date order i.e. the earliest work would be listed before the latest work for each job and the latest jobs before the earlier jobs.

My strong skills in C#, C/C++ and Java were right at the top.

Unfortunately it seems all the dumb recruiters just looked at the very first line of my last job description, which said Visual Basic. So I did Visual Basic for a limited number of months, but obviously if you read below that you would see I've programmed in C/C++, C# and Java for many, many years. Even just a 30 second glance would tell you my experience is in these languages not Visual Basic.

I've down classic credit/debit card processing work in C and if you travel to certain parts of Europe, my code is probably processing your transactions at some point! Yet the stupid recruiters missed this.

But the recruiters were dumb and couldn't be bothered to read beyond the first line. So any job I did get put forward to was one I wouldn't want.

So in the end I gave up and started my own business.

Recruiters are dumb and just get in the way. They don't read your resume/CV. They look at the very first line and the very last thing you did.

A friend of mine says that software industry recruitment is completely broken (and the software industry as well!).

The friend says the only thing that holds it together is the vast number of software developers trying to pile in for each available job.

No system so inefficient and stupid could survive, unless tens of people were applying for each available job.

That is probably why in the UK software development jobs are _advertised_ as a fantastic career with lots of money. In reality you get a shitty career with much less money that people make out.

It is amusing that everyone always says "There's a shortage of qualified software engineers!", yet I struggle to find a decent job.

"Qualified software engineer" means "smart enough to get the job done, but not so smart that you threaten your manager's job".

Coward #56 commented on Headhunter Foolishness - "Open Source Programmer".

When I graduated from university many years ago, some companies did have programming tests. There were at most 30 minutes. Or even just a discussion about some code you have written.

Now big tech companies have gone overboard. In one case I had to write 4 small pieces of software before the interview and fill out one technical test. On the day of interviews I had to do 2 whiteboard programming problems per interviewer. I had about 6. So it total I had to write 4 + (6 * 2) = 16 small pieces of software.

My brain just gave up on the last one. I thought it was just getting silly. Plus the manager interviewing me starting to type loudly on his laptop. I did think at the time that it was done on purpose to distract me.

Then about two weeks later, the Human Resources woman telephoned me and spent 15 minutes telling me how stupid I was because I didn't answer the very last question of the day! She crossed over the line between interview feedback and being rude and offensive. I should have hung up. That was a mistake.

The interview merged from being a test into a sill endurance exercise. Why go through that again, if it is not testing programming ability but endurance from a needlessly long list of questions?

The trouble is that little companies copy the big companies and likewise have endurance tests rather than programming tests. You have to encounter multiple trips to their offices and needlessly long lists of questions. AND ALL BEFORE YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT THE REAL JOB IS ABOUT. WEALTHY COMPANIES CAN AFFORD TO WASTE SO MUCH TIME - A CANDIDATE MAY NOT BE ABLE TO WASTE 3 DAYS PER INTERVIEW.

Justin commented on Headhunter Foolishness - "Open Source Programmer".

haha so true. "Idiot Manager" has to be the most rampant anti pattern.
Even worse, the % of idiot managers is increasing. It isn't just that I have greater awareness. I'm noticing fewer and fewer intelligent hiring managers.

I used to think "I got rejected from that job because I did something wrong on the interview." A *LOT* of hiring managers are just plain evil. It's a symptom of a collapsing economy.

Robert commented on Sitcom Propaganda.
Like you and anybody who has figured out that State media broadcasts are only for selling products and behavior control, I always ask myself "What is the purpose of this noise?" and there has been a lot of it about bullying for some time now. First of all these "anti-bullying" laws will involve more government monitoring and control and will almost certainly include more taxes. You know there will be some "Bullying Supervisor" and other agents collecting a government paycheck. So that's bad right off the bat. But there's a more subtle but profound problem here and it's like anything else when it comes to State power. If in fact there are more children bullying per capita then we have to look at the origins of these problems. Is it that kids are just becoming more mean-spirited, just because? How about emotional problems that have been caused by the broken homes and broken families, things that have happened precisely as a result of the State?? Now we run to the State for help so they can "fix" it? Anyone who thinks this is Libertarian "Conspiracy Theory" needs only look at FDR, the bankers ruling elite and when they enacted social welfare programs at the same time that they abolished the gold standard and ramped up central bank power. They knew their policies would cause poverty and suffering and thus the paradoxical revolving door ” State-caused poverty, State-run help" was created.

Anonymous Coward commented on Sitcom Propaganda.

> At my most recent job, my bosses were abusive, but there’s a solution; I can quit.

Yes, you can quit! Have you found a decent job yet? The answer as we both know is no.

Like you I quit multiple jobs as well, but I never found a truly decent one. Ironically I now work for myself and HAVE A VERY STABLE INCOME INDEED. My income is regardless of an idiot boss bullying me and firing me to hire a friend.

In the UK you are only allowed to have so many different jobs in your lifetime. If you quit a job in under one year it is frowned upon. If you have two or three jobs that last around a year, that is frowned upon. So you can quit, but you are only allowed to quit about twice.

Lots of people have the same attitude as you and me. If there are problems, you can quit. The trouble is that when everybody quits the shitty environment remains. Once in one job I stuck around and tried to fix the problems. Well in the end I found out rather hard, that the problems CANNOT BE FIXED. If you try to fix a problem you will get hit hard. If you lie and cheat and don't fix the problems, you will be rewarded. There is a proverb - "No good deed goes unpunished".

Justin commented on Sitcom Propaganda.

FSK the propoganda is "worry about bullying in the schoolyard not bullying by the government"

Maybe it's "Be dependent on the government to stop bullying, rather than taking care of it yourself."

Schools create a bullying-friendly environment. Age-grouping and ability-grouping causes resentment.

Anonymous Coward commented on Sitcom Propaganda.

Arizona State law against Internet bullying could be used for censorship. See

TJ commented on Sitcom Propaganda.

Government intimidation is itself one of the worst forms of bullying and the historical record does not indicate this power will be exercised fairly or even in the interest of workers.

In all probability the net result of anti-bullying legislation and regulations will be more red tape and higher administrative costs for business. This will tend - all told- to lead to fewer employment options and thus fewer real world options for bullied workers to quit from or to quit to go to.

From a private employer's perspective, the added costs of anti-bullying programs and procedures are essentially a higher labor cost and a deterrent from hiring. There may even be an incentive to hire workers who are more compliant and conformist and not to take the risk on hiring those who 'don't fit in' and who are more likely to be either the object of bullying or more likely to raise true or false bullying complaints.

Any worker who has been abused - and this can happen in both private and public sector employment - even in organisations that have very explicit and very well organised mechanisms for responding to individual worker's complaints. - knows that working through these complaint procedures etc can be arduous, time consuming and can often be gamed by canny and well connected players. Smart bullies will almost certainly learn to conduct their bullying without witnesses and to raise counter-claims undermining the credibility of the complainant. Sometimes just quitting is the quickest, easiest and most psychologically satisfying option to take. However the "just quit" route is not the politically correct option for the 'anti-bullying' lobby.

The school case is more difficult as children have fewer options to quit and to decide for themselves. Even if they have parents onside the current system of compulsory schooling and taxpayer subsidised 'free' schooling has the effect of reducing the range and variety of school choices available. If quitting is the most effective way to deal with bullying then this option is severely constrained by the nature of the current public education system.

I suspect the current bullying meme has very little to do with any real or imagined increase in the rate or quantity of 'bullying' in the workplace or the schoolyard. For the most part as people's economic resources and options increase with economic growth, their ability to avoid bullying also increases - so the trend, over the long run, is probably downward.

I suspect the promotion of the bullying meme has more to do with the career ambitions and professional demands of the various lobbyists for counsellors, psychologists and consultants. These professions have the same business motivations for expanding their trade, limiting access to their market and monopolising their field by self selected experts as do doctors, lawyers etc. Many of those traditional professions traded directly with the general public where many of these 'new professions' essentially need government or corporate employment either 'in house' or as contracted agencies employed by major corporations. In this effort nothing helps sales like government regulations and mandates. These are now large and well organised professions with the full array of conferences, committees, journals etc. This 'professionalisation' by 'experts' is something we have seen before and these groups are very capable in the sphere of lobbying, communication, the manufacture of pseudo-statistics and propaganda.

Complaining to HR about an abusive boss is one sure way to get yourself fired.

Yes, I was somewhat bullied in my most recent job. The only answer is to move on. I've switched jobs enough times that I can handle the search.

Anonymous Coward commented on Sitcom Propaganda.

Bullying on issues of race or sex is illegal.

However bullying a competent worker on imaginary issues of competence is perfectly "legal". Software is technical and complex. Lawyers aren't going to know the difference between a complete mess up and a decent piece of work. So if a software developer is bullied over silly issues, it is just to risky to hope a court will support you.

Even a BBC television documentary/drama (based on a real case) seemed to state that if you take your ex-employer to an Industrial Tribunal, you will never work in that field again.

Anonymous Coward commented on The Daily Show And Unesco.
> The Congressman was saying “The law is the law! The law must be enforced as

>written!”

You Americans are crazy! What is this thing called the "law"?

There ain't no law in the UK. Certainly no law against bribery.

Anonymous Coward commented on Buy Physical Gold, Get Robbed?.
At least the robbery didn't take place in the UK.

In the UK if your family is held at knife point and the thugs threaten to kill your family, the police WILL ARREST THE VICTIMS AND PUT THEM IN JAIL.

Munir Hussain defended his family against three knife thugs with, of all things, a coffee table! Well that is what I remember from memory. The articles appeared in UK newspapers some time ago.

Two knife thugs got away, but Mr Hussain managed to hold one of the knife thugs down while they waited for the police to arrive.

But the stupid police were more concerned over the rights of the knife thugs that had threatened to kill his family and they arrest Mr Hussain and put him in a jail. Worse a stupid court gave him a criminal record and put him in prison.

He only got out months later after a Daily Mail newspaper campaign on appeal.

The poor knife thugs wasn't feeling well and so the stupid court said he was too ill to plead and so he got off scott free.

VICTIMS 0

KNIFE THUGS 1

Buy Physical Gold, Get Robbed? | realfreemarket.org | My Gold Fix commented on Buy Physical Gold, Get Robbed?.

[...] The rest is here: Buy Physical Gold, Get Robbed? | realfreemarket.org [...]

Anonymous Coward commented on Headhunter Trick - Lead Fishing.
> There’s an easy workaround. If an interview doesn’t go anywhere, mention it when

> headhunters ask.

I think I must have misunderstood what you said.

If an interview doesn't go anywhere for you, it must go somewhere for a new candidate submitted by the headhunter.

So you are still telling the headhunter of where the hiring companies are.

This isn't a new trick. I first found out about this first-hand in 2002.

Anonymous Coward commented on Headhunter Trick - Lead Fishing.

> it must go some

Sorry, a typographical error on my part. I meant "it *might* go somewhere for another candidate submitted by the new headhunter".

I don't feel guilty, if the interview didn't go anywhere for me. I don't mind if the headhunter cold-calls someone who didn't hire me and wasted my time.

I noticed that the more-competent places tend to not use headhunters. Most of my interviews through headhunters have been pretty lame.

Anonymous Coward commented on Headhunter Trick - Lead Fishing.

While we are on the topic of wasted time and interviews, about a decade ago I visited the office of a hedge fund in London three times for a set of interviews.

And they went on and on with technical questions. One interview consisted of a monologue that went on and one about garbage collection. I should have said that I learn better from reading rather than an endless monologue. Anyway I got the questions he asked correct. But boy did he go on. There is a difference between knowing how the runtime works and being able to write software on top of it, but I do concede the more you know the better and you do need to know some of the underlying.

Anyway like a lot of other places they asked lots of lots of technical questions and I had to interview with the whole team!

But it was all pointless. In the last interview, the interviewer casually dropped the fact that they work 60 hour weeks. I don't think I replied or commented on what he said. He made a comment. It wasn't a question directed at me.

Anyway after the interviews the recruiter telephoned me. I think I queried the fact that they said they worked 60 hour weeks.

A few hours later the recruiter phoned me again and said I didn't get the job, because I had failed their trick question about 60 hour weeks. The recruiter told me they don't really work 60 hours weeks, but it was a trick question and I had failed it!

But what a stupid waste of time. I had to make three trips to their offices and had to answer multiple technical questions. And they say at the end of it, I didn't get the job because I failed to say anything after a casual comment about 60 hour weeks that wasn't phrased as a question.

What a bunch of time-wasting idiots!

One Response to Reader Mail – 04/01/2012 To 04/07/2012