Reader Mail – 09/09/2012 To 09/15/2012

Rick O'Shea commented on node.js Is VB6 - Does node.js Suck?.
How do we take a person seriously who equates being guided to an trough Harvard as some sort of personal defect. I take it you did not get the job that you interviewed for, and perhaps we should be thankful for the child-like rant versus some of the alternatives. It's a common affliction that some of the ignorant and uneducated engage in sour grapes to boost their own egos. So, don't think your unusual.

Harvard MBAs are ruining the economy. An MBA is good at getting appointed CEO of a large corporate bureaucracy. Most MBAs could not build a successful business. An MBA learns how to exploit defects in the State financial system and State economy. An MBA does not have skills that are useful in a really free market.

A Harvard MBA has negative knowledge.

The startup from that interview has already failed. The website still exists, but hasn't been updated in awhile.

oegalex commented on Rise Of Legends - No Patch Server! - v2.5 patch.
so, that's the last patch? I had it and erased it because i tought that it must say 2.5xx. ... then the 0.0704. ... is the last one? redownloading xD

sth_txs commented on Gold In Italy.
Did you ever see the movie In Time?

I thought it was a nice analogy to our current monetary system.

I don't watch many movies.

"Branded" is a current film that seems interesting. It's a somewhat updated version of "They Live!".

xyz commented on Gold In Italy.

I think that the only relatively safe investment is a political power because no matter what happens it is always possible to turn things one's way. Look at American political families that are entrenched in the top positions for generations - there is almost no chance that they will ever lose as long as US is in existence. Of course political power is not bulletproof - there is always a chance of fall from power due to conspiracies, coups and revolts.But in any case - political power is probably the safest investment that one may be capable of obtaining.

Some businessmen made a study. They concluded that lobbying is the best investment, with an ROI of 1000%-10000% or more. However, that is only accessible once you're already a multimillionaire.

It also is valuable to have the political connections to get appointed CEO. A CEO lines his pockets at the expense of shareholders.

I don't own any politicians. They're out of my price range. The next best investment is gold and silver, taking physical delivery and hiding it someplace safe.

With the modern State, insiders pass power on to their children more reliably than at any point in history. However, when the State collapses, that will be worthless.

Insiders are getting too greedy. As they increase the rate of theft, they help accelerate the collapse. On the other hand, if the scam is ending soon, why not steal as much as you can in the meantime?

n77000 commented on Gold In Italy.

Thank you, FSK. I agree with you that system may not be able to sustain too many greedy insiders, however look at what happened in the former USSR - the system collapsed but the majority of the people who were in power during communist times remained in power in post-communist Russia. I am not saying that collapse cannot occur - there may different scenarios.

Although gold may be a good investment - it worthless in itself - I think that if the US magically switched to gold standard the power to create money will be moved from Federal Reserve to gold miners. Effectively money supply will simply be controlled by different people. Yes, it is slightly more difficult to create gold than to print the money, however it is not as difficult as one might think. If there was a real necessity to mine a lot of gold then I am sure a technology that enable to do that cost effectively will be there.

Now you're pro-State trolling. Gold has real intrinsic value. It has industrial uses, in computer chips. However, the primary demand for gold is monetary/investment.

Gold/silver is a better medium of exchange than paper, due to the *MUCH* increased difficulty of counterfeiting.

In a really free market, gold and silver and copper would be used as money. If there was a real shortage of gold, people would switch to other metals.

If I had a free choice between metal money and paper, I'd pick metal every time. With paper, you're robbed by inflation. Metal preserves its purchasing power.

There is massive State propaganda for "Gold and silver do not make good money. The free market discredited the gold standard." Real money was not ruined by the free market. It was ruined by the State, by printing more metal-redeemable paper than the metal they had.

If the US government did return to a gold standard, they would do it wrong. They would fix the exchange rate between paper and gold, leading to the same problems as occurred in 1933 and 1971, due to inflation of paper. The only way to have a paper and gold monetary system in parallel is with a floating exchange rate.

Depending on the collapse and the new system, the same insiders may not keep their power. If it's a change to a really free market, insiders' power would be limited to resources they already stole. They wouldn't be able to use a really free market to steal more. If it's a change to another corrupt system, like in the USSR, insiders may keep their power.

n77000 commented on The Best Argument In The World.
I am not entirely convinced that "market anarchism and agorism" will work.

It's a completely different perspective from what you were brainwashed to believe. I've thought about it a lot, and I'm convinced it's the "right" answer.

The biggest threat is the State. They will use violence to maintain their power and steal.

Anonymous Coward commented on The Best Argument In The World.

1) You have the incumbent thieves in government

or

2) You have anarchy, free markets and no government

or

3) You have the anarchists as a new government

How about a rule that to be elected to a government post you need to have worked for 10 years in a non-management job producing real goods and services (not banking or law)?

People get confused between (2) and (3). Historically, when a government falls, (3) is what happens. The people who overthrew the old government become the new government. If government falls via a market anarchist revolt, the new system would be a market anarchist one.

You can't make new rules to patch a corrupt system. Insiders would just find a patsy with 10 years of experience in the "right" industries.

gilliganscorner commented on National Debt - Kicking The Can Down The Road.
Actually, kicking the can down the road does make sense in a different context:

Selling off the unborn as collateral for debts incurred by the State today aka hollowing out the future to fill in the gaps of today.

Voters will not vote for a politican that raises taxes. They want the goodies for free. Government has so many dependant classes that any politician running to cut funding to X group to pay Y or create program Z will immediately have massive incentive to not vote for said politican that threatens their State gravy train. So when governments cry out "austerity" as they try to cut the dependent classes, this means X, Y, and Z vote against each other.

So what is a politican to do? Simple. Sell off the unborn. Offer the unborn US tax cattle as collateral to the Chinese for loans. The money sold abroad is....you.

When the eoonomy is in a boom, the problem is not so obvious as the can *CAN* be kicked down the road. However, when there is a contraction, that can *CANNOT* be kicked that far, if at all.

Inflation doesn't immediately hit all classes of society at once. If it did, it would make the problem of inflation obvious to all. There are ripple effects as the money printed up today takes a while to make its way out to all classes. The people who get their hands on the freshly printed money benefit the most. Those who get that money last suffer the most.

With progressive tax rates and inflation, tax rates increase every year if politicians do nothing. The "Bush tax cuts" were given an expiration date, so politicians can "cut taxes" again after they expire.

Even if you sell the unborn into slavery in exchange for new money, that causes inflation. You're getting real goods and services now, but only make a vague promise of payment later.

This is a common misconception "Via a birth certificate and SSN, politicians and banksters own you." However, you can't get freedom just by refusing a birth certificate or SSN. Even if your parents got you a SSN, that doesn't mean you have to act like a slave.

Politicians treat "citizens" as their property. That's a separate issue from "In a paper monetary system, you can have arbitrary high deficits, financed via inflation."

Inflation is spread unequally. It hurts people with savings (unless it's in physical gold and silver). Inflation benefits people with a mortgage, because the rise in home prices is more than the interest rate on the loan. Inflation slightly benefits people with credit card debt, although the interest rate on credit card debt is close to true inflation.

Inflation benefits insiders, because they get to print and spend new money. Inflation hurts people with savings. Inflation also hurts workers, because salary increases usually don't keep pace with inflation.

Anonymous Coward commented on Software Architects Suck - Never Trust A Software Architect.
What you say is very true.

Years ago I joined a company with Software Architects. Years had gone by and all they had was a pile of silly documentation that didn't make any sense. Their group was only architects writing documentation and no software developers.

When a real software developer joined their group he was horrified. All their documentation produced over several years was meaningless rubbish.

In the end the manager (an ex-software author from IBM) bad-mouthed the Software Architect and he left the company feeling rather pissed off.

Justin commented on Software Architects Suck - Never Trust A Software Architect.

Using the word architect/architecture is one of my many pet peeves about software. Programming and code are not analogous to Architecture and buildings. Believing that is the case leads to all sorts of distortions of reality. The only time "start from scratch" is guaranteed to be an anti-pattern is if it is performed by the same team. I hate the term software "Engineer," as well, its not like traditional engineering. If it is analogous to anything its handmade craftsmanship. Like handmade sculptures, plans are highly useless in this context.

It's even worse for that interview. The "architect" will block the employer from hiring me. I could do the rewrite project by myself in 3-6 months.

If software was like constructing buildings, half the projects would fall or never be completed. You would have missing doors and extra windows and missing stairs.

It's like a shibboleth. On an interview, if someone uses the word "architecture", then I know I'm dealing with someone clueless.

Robert commented on Is It Morally Acceptable To Walk Away From A Mortgage?.
The FED announced annother round of "quantitative easing" this week. Disgustingly, I saw a new term used by the MSM this week, ridiculously referring to the Federal Reserve's pumping more money into the economy as "giving donuts".I have been encouraged by more people who are realizing that a Central Bank credit monopoly is bad for the country. Yet, that anyone can say with a straight face that printing more money, when debt is the biggest cause of our economic woes, is a plausible solution to "fix the economy", shows just how far away the slaves are at understanding basic economics at the very least, and the existance of the biggest evil in their lives at the most.

I'm already planning a draft for "QE3".

"Quantitative easing" is a fnord phrase. If Ben Bernanke said "I'm printing more money and giving it to my bankster friends!", that would be too obviously corrupt. "Quantitative easing" sounds noble and important and helpful.

Robert commented on Is It Morally Acceptable To Walk Away From A Mortgage?.

Yes of course. There was an attack on the US government's ambassador to Libya and his entourage this week. The media said it was a "shocking tragedy". Murder is deplorable, but is the attack all that shocking or surprsing? Mr. "Hope and Change" and "peace loving liberal" Obama mercilessly attacked Libya for many weeks, ruthlessly bombing and shelling that country killng thousands of people. I never consented to those attacks, nor did any other citizen. I can honestly say that I have never actually even met a Libyan citizen. Who are they to me? Who am I to them? I never had a problem with them. Funny how there is almost never an outcry for war and invasion unless the government spends millions of dollars and air time telling us why we should hate another people and how an attack on them is justified. Ghaddafi was a client dictator for decades, I guess until he outlived his usefulness like Hussein. Funny how the most brutal dictators in the world are "friends" of the US government for so long, until there are resources or strategic interests which render them then "terrorists".

The people murdered were spies posing as diplomats. That detail was omitted from most mainstream media coverage.

Anonymous Coward commented on SEO Progress - Ranking For My Own Name.
>However, Google biases its search results, based on your search history. Do other

>people get the same result?

Yes I get the same results.

You can clear your cookies and make sure you are not signed into Google. That will help clear your search history.

You may also want to install a few different web browsers on your computer and try searching with Internet Explorer rather than Firefox. That may help confuse the Google Clowns a bit.

Anonymous Coward commented on SEO Progress - Ranking For My Own Name.

You may also want to search via an anonymizer website. But be careful you don't get one that tries to install nasty stuff.

I do my web surfing on a Virtual PC (Microsoft makes this software free) with Undo disks turned on. So if something nasty infects my computer the changes disappear.

Also any web history is deleted, but browsers allow you to delete that more specifically.

I think you can also changes your MAC address when using a Virtual PC.

I was going to recommend scroogle, but they were blocked by Google!

Even if I don't log in to Google, they can still track me by IP address.

Nathan commented on SEO Progress - Ranking For My Own Name.

Also so you don't get biased search results based on your location or previous search history you can choose private browsing mode. For example in Google chrome its called incognito mode.