Reader Mail – 04/14/2013 To 04/20/2013

John T. Rollin commented on node.js Is VB6 - Does node.js Suck?.
Haha, PHP morons always resort to auxiliary details like "support base" or nebulous, meaningless crap like being "more mature". Maturity of a technology isn't measured in time, it's measured in *directed effort* over time.

In short, PHP is a bad joke and the only serious attention it deserves is when mocking and laughing at people who use it.

Olivier Bauchau commented on Only Idiots Use Java For High Frequency Trading.
Dear Sir or Madam,

The reason why I am writing to you is that I am a last year Master’s degree student at the Louvain School of Management at the university of Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium).

As to achieve this final year of academic study I decided to write my final thesis on the topic of “High Frequency Trading”. What has been done so far was to emphasize benefits and controversial misdeeds of this recent trading method by going through the academic literature. Nevertheless, I would now like to support or, to the contrary, contradict my conclusions by collecting the opinion of professionals of the sector.

Therefore I hope that you will agree to answer and/or to convey to your relevant employees my online survey which is located to the following internet link : https://docs.google.com/a/student.uclouvain.be/spreadsheet/viewform?fromEmail=true&formkey=dFRwdHREUXpxRUk1VTlZaDNoSmw1bVE6MQ

If a French version of the survey should be more adequate please find the internet link hereafter : https://docs.google.com/a/student.uclouvain.be/spreadsheet/viewform?fromEmail=true&formkey=dF9xTVU4bmpVN19xelVLUFJCSmRob0E6MQ

If you should come across any question please feel free to contact me.

Lastly if it should occur to you that one of your acquaintances may meet the different criteria requested to answer this survey please feel free to forward this email to that person.

With the hope that you will answer positively to my request I thank you very much dear Sir or Madam for your help.

Yours faithfully,

Olivier BAUCHAU.

Student in 2nd year of Master’s degree at the Louvain School of Management (Belgium)

Tel. : +32-478/68.89.45

Email : olivier.bauchau@student.uclouvain.be

LinkedIn : http://www.linkedin.com/pub/olivier-bauchau/48/492/628

Are you talking about the Free Keene crowd? The people who start fights with the police over trivial things?

Brodie commented on Bitcoin Bubble.

I am talking about the hosts of freetalklive.com who do live in Keene. Ian has been arrested by the police for trivial things yes. Mark has not. TDV is The Dollar Vigilante also. If you don't know about that group, I would highly recommend it.

Anyways, here is my conspiracy theory about Bitcoins and the MSM. Maybe, they are giving it attention, to cause a speculative bubble, so that it will pop, and their hope is people will stop using it because it keeps popping. My other idea is simply they don't understand yet how dangerous Bitcoins will be to the empire, and once they do, you won't hear anything else about Bitcoins in the MSM.

Every Bitcoin client gets a copy of every transaction. That makes it very easy for police to trace. That's a major flaw.

Brodie commented on Bitcoin Bubble.

As she says in the article I posted for you "As a final bit of skepticism, the essay called into question the anonymity of Bitcoin. Maybe it’s true, maybe it’s not, but the world is a checkerboard of jurisdictions and there do exist government in the world which do not care whether their citizens fling these obscure bundles of electrons back and forth. And even within the control-obsessed jurisdictions of the US and EU, people can almost instantly create as many accounts as they want.

Even if they were 100% traceable, so what? The wind is likewise traceable, but tracing it and stopping it are two very different matters."

Esse commented on Bitcoin Bubble.

Glad you are bringing these points up. People have said to me, "If you were truly a Libertarian you would be using Bitcoin!" Well first, I have not said that I am or am not a Libertarian, assuming we can define what that is. But getting to the point, it's simply not private or anonymous at all. Every transaction in history is tracked. Secondly, as I am no cryptography expert, and have not reviewed the source code, and the identity of the people running the system is secret, how the hell would I know whether or not the system is subject to inflation or theft? Also, people are getting huge amounts of their bitcoin accounts robbed by thieves as it is, and there's no police agency that will investigate.

Nothing about it smells like currency, safe, or anonymous to me.

Anonymous Coward commented on Bitcoin Bubble.

The fall in the price of gold from $1700 to $1400 USD by naking shorting in the corrupt paper markets has been prophesied.

Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries that are coming upon you! 2 Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are moth-eaten. 3 Your gold and silver are corroded, and their corrosion will be a witness against you and will eat your flesh like fire. You have heaped up treasure in the last days. 4 Indeed the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, cry out; and the cries of the reapers have reached the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth.[a] 5 You have lived on the earth in pleasure and luxury; you have fattened your hearts as[b] in a day of slaughter. 6 You have condemned, you have murdered the just; he does not resist you.

Gold does not corrode. A better translation is "cankered" which means morally corrupted. This could allude to the price of gold being destroyed by corrupt banksters.

Anonymous Coward commented on Bitcoin Bubble.

Dr Paul Craig Roberts (former Assistant Secretary of the US Treasury) writes about the attack on gold.